Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys in Irving TX & DFW Metroplex
One minute you are on top of the world, looking forward to your future, and the next you are entangled in a mass of tangled metal and shattered glass. That is the terrifying reality of life-changing motor vehicle accidents. Motor vehicle accidents are far too common and result in the bulk of personal injury victims. Every case is unique, but every motor vehicle accident is robbed of something, whether it is health, property, emotional well-being, or time.
Types of Vehicular Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents may involve one or two cars or numerous vehicles. “Pile-ups” may literally involve dozens of vehicles of every size and type. Causes of motor vehicle accidents vary, with many crashes having several contributory factors. While many accidents occur because of driver negligence, intoxication or recklessness, others happen because of vehicle flaws, poor road conditions, wildlife or weather and visibility factors.
- Car Wreck – Automobile accidents take various forms, from head-on collisions to the dreaded “T-bone.” Injuries may vary depending on the type of crash, with whiplash victims most often experiencing rear-end collisions.
- Truck Accident – when a large truck, especially an 18-wheeler, collides with a smaller vehicle, the results are seldom good for the people in a car. Drivers of 18-wheelers are especially vulnerable to fatigue after driving long distances, but issues with the truck frequently cause crashes. These include overloaded vehicles or poorly maintained trucks.
- Motorcycle Accident – because motorcyclists are completely exposed when involved in an accident, fatalities and severe injuries are common. Motorcycle drivers and passengers often experience permanent injuries. Such injuries include spinal cord damage and brain trauma. Such injuries require intensive and long-term rehabilitation, and perhaps nursing-home care.
- DWI Accident – A crash resulting from someone Driving While Intoxicated is more than an accident – it is also a crime. Even first offenders in Texas face mandatory minimum jail time – from 3 to 180 days – and a fine of up to $2,000 if their blood alcohol content (BAC) level is .08 percent or higher. Subsequent offenses merit longer jail time and higher fines, and all DWI convictions involve loss of the driver’s license.
- Pedestrian Accident – individuals out walking, running or trying to cross a road have zero protection from a motor vehicle. The same holds true for cyclists, who share the roads with motor vehicles.
Dallas-Fort Worth Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics
Texas has a lot to boast about, but there is one statistic the state can’t take pride in. More fatal motor vehicle accidents occur here than in any other state, a total of 3,138 in 2015. DWIs make up a large percentage of such crashes. There were 861 fatal crashes involving drunken drivers and 960 people killed in 2015.
Fatalities are just the tip of the iceberg, as 2,187 people suffered “incapacitating” injuries in 1,610 collisions involving drunken drivers. In the Dallas-Fort Worth region, motor vehicle accidents, whether or not they involve fatalities or drunken driving, occur daily.
Other 2015 statewide statistics include:
- 459 motorcycle fatalities, including driver and passenger
- 428 deaths involving 18-wheelers
- 51 bicyclists killed
- 550 pedestrian deaths
In recent years, Dallas led the state in road rage deaths, with 329 recorded incidents from 2007 to 2011. The total included five fatalities.
While it’s always important to take precautions such as wearing a seatbelt and keeping your vehicle in good condition, it appears especially necessarily while driving in Texas.
What to do if Involved in a DFW Vehicle Accident
If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, make sure a police report is filed. Get medical attention immediately, even if you do not think you are hurt. Not all medical conditions are immediately apparent right after a collision. Some issues, such as whiplash, may not develop for a few days. Contact your auto insurance company to learn what type of medical treatment is covered as soon as possible. If possible, take photos or videos of the accident scene.
In a serious motor vehicle accident, an ambulance will take victims to an emergency room or trauma center. In Dallas-Fort Worth, these include:
- Baylor University Medical Center – Dallas
- UT Southwestern Medical Center – Dallas
- Plaza Medical Center of Fort Worth
- Texas Health Fort Worth
Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Irving, TX
If you or a family member suffers a personal injury because of the other driver’s negligence, contact the experienced attorneys at the Dashner Law Firm for a free consultation and review of your case.