Getting pulled over by the cops is a stressful experience, even if you have not been drinking. While it is advised never to drive drunk, people still get behind the wheel. There are a few things you can do to improve your chances in a DWI case. Follow these simple tips and then call an experienced attorney.
Do The Following:
1. If you see a cop pulling you over, remain calm and pull to a safe location on the side of the road.
2. Stay in your car, and provide your license and registration when asked.
3. Do not answer any questions, but be polite and friendly about providing your very factual information. You have the right not to answer questions. Remember, anything you tell a police officer can be used against you.
4. Do not perform any sobriety tests. This is only the police’s way of building a case against you.
5. When asked questions, say clearly that you will not talk with them without your attorney present. Demand to speak to your attorney. When you request counsel, the police are required to stop asking you questions.
6. Refuse a breathalyzer if you have been drinking. While this will result in an automatic loss of your license, it can help you avoid much more serious consequences.
7. Discuss options with you attorney immediately. There is a small gap in which you can contest your license suspension. It is crucial that you seek competent legal counsel as soon as possible.
Contact The Dashner Law Firm
If you have been arrested for a DWI and need help sorting our your case, give us a call. We are knowledgeable attorneys with extensive experience in helping clients with their DWI cases. To discuss your case, contact Dashner Law at 1-877-4-Dash-Law.